Thursday 28 February 2013

Training Diary 28/02/2013

Charity Ride Stats:
  • Weeks until Bridge 2 Bridge ride - <10 Weeks
  • Donations collected - $1,100.00

Training Stats:
  • Distance YTD - 1,668 km 
  • Elevation YTD - 14,554 m
  • Ride Hours YTD - 69hr 46min
  • Current Weight - 78.0kg

Training wise, the last two weeks have been good and bad.
Good because I got a solid block of training in and did some good totals of kms and hours on the bike. I am feeling the added fitness of the extra miles and finding I am less and less tired after big efforts.
The bad has been the weather that SE QLD has seen lately. Nothing but rain, rain, rain, rain, abit of sun, then more rain. Even the next 7 days are looking to be wet and wild. This can make training abit harder. I dont particularly like training indoors (wind trainer or rollers) as it takes the fun out of riding a bike but will do it as a last resort. Last week I put my race fenders on and rode thru the storms but the cleaning up of the bike takes alot of time. If you dont properly clean all the dirt and sand out of the drivetrain you can grind away your chain/cassette in no time. So its a catch 22 scenario. Fingers crossed for some sunshine soon!


Rain rain go away, come again....next year.


In terms of training program, I think its working quite well. I have set distances for various routes which I peice together to meet my weekly total. For example:
  • Standard short commute = Approx 23kms
  • Standard commute + Uni loop = Approx 26km
  • Longer bikeway commute = Approx 35kms
  • Riverloop commute = Approx 50kms
So if I leave early and have time to spare I'll switch to the Riverloop Commute and log the extra kms. If its going to storm or I am short on time - the standard commute can be done in 40ish minutes. Then the weekends allow me to do longer rides to whereever I like. Its working well!

 Cycle of Giving 2013
 So as part of my weekend hitout, I signed up for the Cycle of Giving ride held last Sunday. The other bonus was that a couple of people doing the Bridge 2 Bridge were also going to be there. Good chance to meet them and put some names to faces.

The Cycle of Giving aims to raise awareness of organ and tissue donation and is supported by The Prince Charles Hospital Foundation and Medtronic. It has several distances, with the longest starting at Landsborough (west of Caloundra) and ending at Chermside on the northside of Brisbane (100kms). I planned to ride home from the finishline so that would give me a total of about 130kms for the day.

Unusually, this ride does not start and finish in the same location - which can make transportation abit difficult. Either you ride to the start or organise another way there/back. Thankfully, QR has come onboard and provided a coutesy train up from Roma Street to Landsborough (stopping at a few stops along the way for shorter distance riders) in time for the start. It was great! The train was a bit squeezy with a few hundred cyclists and their bikes but better than missing out altogether. Great work QR and CoG!

We alighted at Landsborough and I signed in at the registration tent and found out that I had won a Cycle of Giving jersey - SWEET! I met Randall (B2B ride organiser) and a few of the LJ Hooker riders who have signed up as well. They turned out to be a great bunch of guys (and girl) so I am looking forward to the big ride in May.

The first 30km were quick with me flying along with a fast bunch. There was a quick stop when Randall broke a front spoke. We later reassessed it at the pitstop and figured out that it was rubbing on the fork crown - not good when its made of carbon! That pretty much ended Randalls ride and we bid him farewell. Hopefully our next meetup is more successful.
From the first pitstop I rode with the LJ Hooker crew at a slower pace. Some of them are newer to riding so we didnt break any speed records. I also helped out one of them who flatted on some broken glass. At the second pitstop (75km mark) the rainclouds had gathered. I didnt want to spend the next few hours in the wet so had a quick bottle refill and headed off on my own.

As I caught and passed riders, I came across a blonde lady in an Australian Nationals kit. I thought nothing of it, as anyone can buy any team kit they want online now. Anyways, so I sit behind her drafting for awhile and after about 15mins I swing up next to her and ask "Do you want a rest? I can sit on the front". For those not familiar, sitting on the front of a group of riders is harder and uses up more energy than sitting in behind. The lady said something back (which I missed) as I swung onto the front. Abit further down the road she came up next to me and we started talking. Turns out she was Kirsty Broun (previous 2 time Australian National Female Road Crit Champ!) - talk about embarassing!! Here I am, asking a national champ if they are tired and want a rest after 80 odd kms hahaha. Oh well.

Luckily for me, she is a really nice lady. We talked about womens cycling, some of the races she had done and her current occupation which is part-time lawyer/part-time cycle skills coach. She had some of her students at the ride sitting behind us and they looked like they were having a great time. For some it was their first 100km ride and it was great to see the smiles and enthusiasum. I have since traded emails with Kirsty and might join her on a few of the organised group rides she runs. It'll be fun riding with a pro cyclist!!

Anyway we arrived at the finish near midday and I grabbed a quick sausage on bread & a fanta and sat in the shade. After a rest I set off down Gympie Road heading to the city - HOLY MOLY that is a dangerous road. I DO NOT recommend riding on that road to anyone! Once I was in the Valley it was a steady ride home - by this time is was pretty hot and humid. Got home, jumped in a cold shower and stretched out the legs.

I felt pretty great on this ride - only a little tired afterwards but managed 130kms no worries. Looks like the training is paying off.

Strava Ride Link




 Stretching/Recovery
The other thing I did this week was re-join the free gym at work. I was member aaaaages ago when I was bulking up and doing alot of weights. Now my priorities are alot different and the main purpose of my membership is to participate in the Yoga and Pilates classes. The aim being to work on my flexibility and core strength to help with my recovery and reduce the chance of any injuries in my big training weeks.

My results:
  • Resting pulse = 77 bpm
  • Blood pressure = 130/90
  • BMI = 23 (ideal)
  • Bodyfat % = 14.72 (below average)
  • Lean body mass = 66.52kg, Fat mass = 11.48kg
  • Hip & lower back flexibility = 1cm (minimal)
  • Aerobic fitness (VO2Max) = 68.37 (very high)

They had my details from the last time I was a member and some key differences include:
  • My blood pressure seems to be a tad high. Nothing too alarming but higher than normal.
  • I weight less. No surprise but last time I was a member, I weighed 85kg. I am down to 78kg now.
  • My fat % is much less. Again no surprise, all that riding has reduced my fat stores.
  • My VO2Max is very high. This was determined by a bike + Heart Rate test so again no surprise. Good to see that the number match my exercise though.
  • My flexibility is much, much less. This would make sense as I used to do weights and stretches a few times a week - but since moving to being a "cyclist", my leg muscles are alot tighter. Bigger and stronger, but tighter. So its a good thing I signed up!
Regarding my blood pressure - I will be retesting it every month to get a handle on whether it is consistantly high, or just occasionally. If it proves to be high all the time, I may need to see a doctor.

Bianca is buying a yoga mat for me (no smelly loan mat for me!) so I should start the Yoga classes from next week. In the meantime, I have some suggested stretches and foam roller excersises which I can do at home after every ride.


Donations:
Big thanks to the following people who have donated - It really means alot to me to have your support!
Gavin Blakey, Lara Dark, Franz Jacobsen, Lisa Pollard, Dan Young and James Hansen.


Thank you all so much.

Fingers crossed from some rain-free mornings soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment