Tuesday 5 February 2013

My Friend Eddie

Sadly, this Friday I will have to farewell a friend from this world.
Eduardo "Eddie" Pose passed away on the 1st February 2013, the day after my 28th birthday.

Eddie had been fighting cancer in various forms over 4 long years. I first met him after he was in remission from a tumour on his heart. About a year later doctors tests revealed he had a secondary cancer in his lymph nodes. The treatment was a long process and he was in and out of hospital for over a year. At the end of 2012 it looked as if he was getting on top of the disease and looked stronger each day. We even enjoyed 50km rides together just before Christmas. But then suddenly he was administered back into hospital with a virus attacking his gut. It was particularly painful for him and he couldn't eat/drink for weeks.The doctors ordered 3 tests of his bone marrow to rule out any progress of the cancer. The first two results came back clear and I was quietly hopeful that this was the end of the cancer. I had always just assumed he would back healthy and riding with me sooner or later.

Devastatingly, the third test was positive for cancer in the marrow and doctors outlined that there was nothing that could be done. With good luck, he could have months left to enjoy life - with bad luck he may only have days.

I remember the phonecall we had after he had that conversation with the doctors. Eddie sounded so calm and collected for someone in that position. I just couldn't understand - I would have been a mess of denial and sadness. But not Eddie. He was reflective on life and thankful for time he had on earth. As he said to me "That's just the way life is - sometimes it doesn't work out the way you want". He was strong in the face of defeat and ready for his final journey.

I will always remember Eddie in his prime. We did many rides together and the more I think about it, the more he is a big part of why I ride. As a somewhat introvert, I tend to mostly ride solo. I love to hear the wind whistle past, feel the breeze on my skin, the buzz of the freewheel and steady rhythm of my breathing. The great thing about my rides with Eddie was that he loved those same things. There would be rides where we would be mostly silent and just enjoying the magic which is cycling. Other times we would discuss any and all areas of cycling: running gear brands, clothing, who's a doper, who's not, grand tours, one day classics etc. We just loved to talk cycling. And that was our thing.
As he opened up about his condition, we started to talk more about the 'big things' in life - why are we here, what does it mean to be a good person, why are there wars and what happens when you die. Like me, he was a lover not a fighter. The recipe for peace seemed so simple to us - just accept others for who they are. To us there was just no sense in hating someone for their color, sexual orientation, what country they're from or what car they drive etc. Life is bigger than that.

On the few rides I have done since Eddie passed, I have again visited these topics in my head. But this time, it's only the wind, the freewheel and my breathing to keep me company.

I will miss my 'cycling buddy' Eddie Pose, and our friendship was unique. I am thankful for the thoughts he provoked and the observations he passed onto me. And even in death, he has still reminded to enjoy my life, love my friends & family and don't take any for granted. Life is short.

Rest in Peace, Eddie. I hope there's a tailwind whereever you ride now.

No comments:

Post a Comment