Thursday 14 February 2013

Training Diary 14/02/2013

Charity Ride Stats:
  • Weeks until Bridge 2 Bridge ride - <12 Weeks
  • Donations collected - $850.00

Training Stats:
  • Distance YTD - 1,153 km 
  • Elevation YTD - 11,087 m
  • Ride Hours YTD - 50hr 19min
  • Current Weight - 77.5kg

I will be trying to do a regular (fortnightly maybe?) summary of my training leading up to the Bridge 2 Bridge ride. It will feature some stats (I'm a sucker for stats and numbers) as well as some commentary about how my training is going so far.

First of all, I had a pretty great start to the year training wise. I completed the Rapha Strava Challenge and rode over 500kms in between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. After that I tapered back down to a more sustainable (for me) 200kms per week.

My overall cycling goal for the year is to ride 10,000kms and climb 100,000m by December 31st 2013. This double what I did last year so it will take some persistence and routine to reach.

The training leading up to the Bridge 2 Bridge will be fairly simple. The ride doesn't feature crazy amounts of climbing and is mostly long, undulating days of 120kms or so. So the training aim is to increase my mileage each week so that my body grows used to riding that kind of distance day after day (without falling apart). I will try and add some climbing in here and there to keep things interesting. By mid April I want to be riding around 500-600kms per week. The week before the ride will be reduced to maybe 200-300kms to 'save the legs' for the big ride.

Already I have been ramping up to 250-300kms in a week and I have started to notice that my leg muscles are getting abit fatigued and sore when riding repeat days. I am learning to warm down at the end of a ride (easy spinning for the last 4kms or so) and trying to stretch the muscles out each day. I am also looking at starting Yoga classes to help with the stretching and flexibility side of things.

In other bike related news - I bought a Garmin 800 GPS Bundle from a guy on the cycling forums. I haven't figured out how to use it yet but the hope is that it will help with training (especially with the Heart Rate Monitor). I am also looking forward to the GPS navigation aspect where I can map out a new ride on the computer and just have the Garmin navigate me around the course. This will be great to stop me from riding the same old courses over and over again. Bianca's going to get so sick of me babbling about this thing, I can see it now haha.



So anyway, in the next period I will be ramping up the kms and figuring out my routine for riding to/from work, stretching and warming down. Fingers crossed the body cooperates and I dont come down with any injuries or sickness.

Donations:
Big thanks to the following people who have donated - It really means alot to me to have your support.
Kuzaini Sani, Taryn Clarke, Olivia Sanderson, Shree Kalokhe, Anonymous donation of $300 by "Tony"!!, Marilyn Cameron, Mark Tinnion, Kieren Davis, Tammy Crockford, Cheyne Honeyman, Scott Glover, Blake Boulton, Rach & Keith Lindsay and Sarah Springer.

Each donation is special - but I would like to point out the anonymous donation of $300 by a "Tony". They did not include any contact details, and while I only know a handful of Tonys, I am pretty humbled that someone wants to part with that much money for this cause and not want any recognition. That is just amazing to me.

Thank you all so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment