Thursday 9 May 2013

Bridge2Bridge Day 6: Tamworth to Scone

After the really cold days we had, the morning in Tamworth was pretty good. It was still under 10 degrees but nowhere near as windy. Everyone has gotten used to the morning routine of waking up, grabbing breakfast, bike checks and rolling out by 6:30am.

We set off thru the rolling plains outside Tamworth leaving the New England Highway temporarily and heading towards Quinimbi. The road was pretty much flat and weaved it's way between all the lumps and bumps in the landscape. It was the perfect start to the day. Before we knew it, we had punched out 40km and barely broken a sweat. 

After a rest stop we motored towards this tiny town called Werris Creek where we enjoyed coffee and some banana bread. They obviously don't see cyclists much as everyone stared at us on the way thru and we had to keep explaining what the matching jerseys and can were all about. 

From there it was a long flat ride back to the New England Highway before climbing up to the crest of the range. The climb wasn't too bad (about 2km long and 4%, kicking up to 7% at the top) and my knee had warmed up enough for me to have a good crack at the climb. I finished right on Lawries tail and I was pretty pleased to be able to stick to him all the way up. A fast and furious descent down the range had us roll to a stop at the Murrurundi School where we were scheduled to meet and greet the kids. 

They put on a wonderful feast for us - fresh fruit, scones, sandwiches, soft drinks, cakes...it was a dream lunch stop! The school is actually the 4th oldest school in NSW and they had some heritage listed trees surrounding the building which date back 150 years ago. They have some of the original buildings still in use as a library and art room. Amazing! 

We introduced ourselves to the kids and told them abit about why we were doing the ride and our goal. They listened intently and even offered their own stories of how they were affected by brain cancer in their families. It was really nice to talk with them. We didn't have much time but I did my usual Q&A session on bikes and was told that "I have the awesomest bike I have ever seen" by one little boy. Funny stuff!

Waving farewell, we started the 40km journey to Scone. It was mainly flat with some downhills but the headwinds were insane. There was one steep hill that I needed to pedal hard DOWN or I would've come to a standstill such was the headwind. I had set off last from the school and put my cycling legs to good use by catching and passing the other 7 riders along the way. I didn't manage to catch Lawrie and Ivor but I still made it to the motel with 45mins to spare in front of the others. Dinner at the local Golden Fleece pub was excellent - I inhaled a massive chicken parmy with chips and veges, washed down with some cold beer. True cyclists recovery food! 









No comments:

Post a Comment