Wednesday 8 May 2013

Bridge2Bridge Day 5: Armidale to Tamworth

Well Armidale lived up to its reputation and we had a cold, cold, cold start to the day. The thermometer read 5 degrees and chill factor was 2.5 degrees! Brrrrrr!

Armidale is in a valley which means two things: fog would fill up the valley and we would be climbin up out of the fog. 

We travelled about 20kms thru thick cold fog. Visibility was down to 20m and I was thankful for bringing my bright Leyzne front light and super bright rear light. Eventually we rolled into Uralla where we all rushed into Trina's Cafe for coffee, tea and fruit toast. It was a warm oasis. 

After procrastinating for half an hour, we set off once again. The fog had cleared by now but the air was still chilly. We took the time for photos at Thunderbolts Rock (Splits Rock). Captain Thunderbolt the bush ranger would use this high vantage point to spot travelers and coaches along the highway...and promptly rob them. 

The landscape was full of grazing fields and sheeps galore. They would look up as we neared and run alongside us. It's pretty dry out here this time of year and the land is a beautiful mix of browns and reds. 

We moved thru undulating terrain before a series of long downhills which was most welcome. We would climb a little more up to the edge of the Moonbi hills. Personally, I had been waiting for this point becuase it signaled a steep 6km descent into the town of Moonbi. As a confident descender, I volunteered to go down first. It was fast and furious descent with my speedo showing speeds  up to 70km/hr! All good fun. The best part is that you barely need to pedal into Moonbi as the momentum takes you there. 

Lunch in Moonbi beside the big chicken statue finished, we set off for the easy 20km ride into Tamworth. After saving our energy for most of the day, it was nice to ease into the finish line. 

I was glad to take it easy today as my left knee was still giving me some pain. I could still put some power down on the flats but the hills were difficult. It's feeling abit better so I am hopeful that it will be okay for the next few days. We have two big days ahead (both over 140km) so I need my good legs back!












1 comment: